Check out answers to the glass questions we hear the most from shower enclosures, to fogged windows, insurance and more.
The combination of super hot summer days, cold rain showers and those couple cold snaps we have in the winter months wreak havoc on older IGs and eventually produce small cracks, gaps, or spaces that allow humid air to invade the previously vacuumed CO2 that was originally placed in between the panes when it was first manufactured. About 15-20 years ago there was quite a building boom in North Florida and some of the homes were built using a lower end insulated unit that was cheaply made and simply, subpar. Over the years many "as seen on TV" style repairs or magic tricks have been created but simply never last to actually repair and seal the unit for good. Your best course of action is to replace just the glass panel. You do not need to replace the fill frame so do not let other glass companies tell you that. Technology has improved over the years and with the introduction of low thermal emissivity (Low-E) window panes, we can often increase the "R" value (energy efficiency rating) by simply swapping out the glass panes. In addition to advanced technology in window films, sometimes the large cost of full frame window replacements can be slashed by 75 percent.
Discount Glass always offers a 10-year seal failure warranty on all insulated windows (unless noted otherwise.) We use a double inner and outer seal technology that offers a very strong and reliable bond between the two panes and we hold all insulated panes into place with a dual bead system of Sika Acetoxy Silicone for a mold/mildew resistant adhesive.
Some of the reasons why an insulated window can become cloudy and foggy are:
- Pressure washing close to the seals and the increased pressure per square inch (psi) puts too much strain and pressure on the area.
- Cleaning the window to frames with a very strong solvent that eats away at the old butyl seals
- High wind pressure "squeezes" the windows and retracts over and over and creates cracks
- Dramatic increase or drop in air pressures due to Tropical Storms
- Small breaks, chips or cracks in the glass can allow air to escape
- Improperly installed units can have unequal amounts of pressure around the window creating bellies in the panes and eventually separation.
Call us today and we can help you affordably replace those fogged, cracked, broken or damaged insulated windows.
We know it takes a bit of time for the estimate process but we sincerely hope that our tenure, reviews, and contractor referrals speak for themselves. We can meet you in person to give you an affordable quote for the shower enclosure you desire.
The shower enclosure ordering process is very simple:
- Schedule an appointment with us the day the tile is to be finished. We MUST have all tile completed everywhere glass will touch so that we can collect accurate measurements. Remember, all of this glass is custom cut for you, for your shower and only to match your shower. Rarely do we ever encounter a true 90-degree vertical wall with no lean or bow in it. That's why we ask to make sure all caps, walls and thresholds are tiled before we come on site.
- After we schedule a time with you, an estimator will meet you in your home and go over shower enclosure design, styles, hardware options and colors, plus all details that equal a quality and thorough estimate. Many times you will have an estimate in your hand before we leave the location. In the event that we need to email or call shortly after, you will be given a rundown of the options and the installed price.
- Once the shower enclosure estimate is approved, we collect a standard 50 percent deposit. This is solely due to the fact that this glass is being cut, tempered and polished to your specific shower. The glass cannot be sold anywhere else most of the time. The manufacturing process generally takes approximately 8-10 business days.
- As soon as all hardware, glass, parts and quality control have been completed, we contact you to schedule an appointment quickly. We understand that we are often the last contractor on a job site and the final step so we try to expedite everything we can for you. Our technicians are generally two men teams and have a vast amount of experience and professionalism.
- Upon final installation, the technicians will go over any silicone drying times and all details needed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have as we want you to enjoy your final finished, beautiful shower enclosure!
Technology has changed the claim process for some insurance companies but generally speaking, we can quickly help you file the claim if you have "Full" or "Comprehensive" coverage on your Florida based insurance policy. Our customer service reps and managers have a vast amount of experience and can easily help you get back to good as new. We encourage you to check out our reviews as well as Facebook for updates and our customers’ auto glass experiences.
Our biggest piece of advice is if it sounds too good to be true, it normally is. We are aware that some companies out there offer cash rebates or gift cards in exchange for the right to replace your windshield. What you don't see is that often times these companies are making that additional expense possible because they are actually going to sue your insurance company for higher rates.
Each insurance company has mandated rates for each geographical area of the United States. We, as a glass provider, have zero control over the rates your insurance company pays us to replace your windshield. This is mandated by the insurance companies and rates are predetermined by them. Some companies that offer too good to be true incentives are not supported by your insurance company and therefore do not back a warranty on the installation as they are in the process of filing a lawsuit against your insurance provider for much higher rates. Be careful! These companies change names, addresses, and management often so their promised "lifetime warranty" is good for just a year or so. We have a brick and mortar storefront and warehouse right on Philips Highway and have for over 20 years.